What is digital marketing?
Digital Marketing, as defined by Wikipedia is:
Why use it?
It’s quite simple really, think of it as a support system for brand marketing of various products and or services. With the advent of social media, brands have been given instant, direct, 24 /7 access to their consumers which previously was impossible unless you had a 24hr call center. This has rapidly become the most effective way for brands to receive feedback, both negative and positive and allow for them to react quickly and control and encourage the conversation around the products and or services. It is this unprecedented level of access, that was not traditionally available that has ensured continued growth.
What are the digital trends to look out for?
It’s always a good idea to keep abreast with developments and to leverage all the different channels that are relevant your brand. A lot of the times it is getting onto these trends before others do that gives you the edge. Here’s a few to look out for this year (if you haven’t already of course). This is by no means an exhaustive list but the top categories as presented by Smart Insights:
- Big Data (including market and customer insight and predictive analytics)
- Content marketing Communities (Branded niche or vertical communities)
- Conversion rate optimization (CRO) / improving website experiences
- Display (Banners on publishers, ad networks social media including retargeting and programmatic)
- Internet of Things (IoT) marketing applications
- Marketing Automation (incl CRM, behavioral Email marketing, and web personalization)
- Mobile marketing (Mobile advertising, site development, and apps)
- Paid search marketing, e.g. Google AdWords Pay Per Click
- Online PR (including influencer outreach)
- Social media marketing including Social CRM and Social Customer Care
- Wearables (e.g. Apple Watch, activity trackers, augmented reality)
What tools can I use?
There are a plethora of free resources out there that can assist in pretty much every single one of your digital marketing efforts. All you need to is spend some time doing some research, reading reviews, etc to help you choose the best one(s) for you in each category. But just to save you a bit of time here is a list of my top 10 you should definitely take a look at: